Date: To be arranged
Cost: CAD$585.00 + GST
CEU Credits: 18
Recommended Prerequisite: Expressive Play Therapy, A Holistic and Integrative Approach or equivalent
This 3-day seminar is intended for experienced play therapists. We will address the challenges of helping traumatized children move past the traumatic play they engage in and regain the power of creative play that can help them safely access, release and integrate their painful experiences.
- Play Therapists will learn the theoretical principles of Holistic Expressive Play Therapy as related to the subject of trauma:
- The impact of trauma on the child’s psyche.
- Dissociation, hyper-vigilance, and the various ways they manifest themselves.
- Participants will gain an understanding of the major components of methods used in Holistic Expressive Play Therapy and methods used in a play session.
- Therapists will explore and learn expressive play therapy grounding methods to help dissociated hyper-vigilant children feel grounded enough to use symbolic play in a focused and productive way.
- Therapists will view these concepts applied through a slide presentation that illustrates how starting from the primary need of the child, the therapist follows and guides the child’s spontaneous play and uses interventions that combine the multi-sensory gifts of nature and body-centered exercises.
- Therapists will also view these concepts applied through a slide presentation that illustrates how traumatized children have used expressive play therapy methods to come to terms with their painful experiences.
- Participants will gain an understanding of the role of the play therapist in facilitating the various stages of the recovery process.
- Participants will examine the imagery created by traumatized children and explore and discuss the recurring patterns and symbols through the various stages of the play therapy process.
In the afternoons, participants will experience and explore various expressive play therapy media as related to the topic of trauma.
Fee includes certificate of attendance for the purpose of continuing education programs.
For participants wishing to count credits toward certification with CAPT, a successful student evaluation by Marie Jose in the form of an essay will be required. There will be an additional charge of $50 for this service.
*For those seeking certification with CAPT – this course will go towards 3 hours of theory / approach, 3 hours of techniques, and 12 hours of special populations.